RIGHT MINDSET, RIGHT ACTION, RIGHT REWARD
Having the right mindset when you’re losing weight is the #1 most important thing.
- Your desire to change has to significantly outweigh your desire to stay the same, or else nothing is going to happen except you’ll fall back into old habits and behaviors that got you where you don’t want to be in the first place.
- The words that you use and the pictures you create in your mind are the biggest drivers of your behavior. Use words that tell yourself that this is YOUR choice. You are choosing to drop weight and be healthy, and most of all, you are excited and grateful for the opportunity to do this for yourself. (“I am excited to eat healthier foods”; “I choose to move more during the day”)
You can put a ton of effort into losing weight but if the effort isn’t put toward what works for your unique body, then you’ll keep experiencing failure.
- For example, you can keep trying to eat less and move more and think all of sudden you’ll see success. You can try with all your might to be vegan or carnivore, but if your body isn’t dropping the weight, a new action needs to be adopted.
- BE that person you want to be- Lean, Fit, Strong, Vibrant, Confident? Form THAT as your new identity and act as if you are already there. This is who you are so start acting and eating like it TODAY! Being this person and acting as if you are already that person has the MOST power.
Oftentimes we don’t celebrate our successes, and if we do, it isn’t in the “right” way. Usually our celebrations sabotage our efforts. Have you ever looked forward to hitting your goal weight so you can go celebrate by eating “X” food (that food you say you love that doesn’t love you back?) How often do you celebrate with food or alcohol?
- The ticket? Reward yourself in a way that celebrates and supports your success. It could be as simple as sticking a gold star on your meal plan on the days you’ve followed it precisely.
- I like to encourage our clients to plan something they couldn’t have done at their starting weight that they can’t WAIT to do once they’ve achieved their weight loss goals. Learn how to scuba dive? Get back on your bike? Go to the beach in a specific swimsuit with a specific someone? Apply for that job? Hike something exciting!
I can’t wait to hear how you will reward yourself once you achieve your goals, which you will, because you CHOOSE to go after your goals – it is who you ARE! Success is the only outcome when you focus on the right mindset, the right action and the right reward.
Wishing you success,
Dr. Ashley Lucas