Vegas Trip with PHD
Staying on track in Vegas IS possible!
Below are some personal tips from Certified PHD Consultant, Courtney McQuade, on how she succeeded on the PHD program while enjoying VEGAS!
- Come prepared – If you are using PHD nutritional food items, make sure you bring them, and use them! We also brought LaCroix, Grand Mariner Fat Bombs and a stick of butter to our room to make sure we had dietary fat and some healthy alternatives for drinking. More ideas for snacks here.
- Have a partner to keep you accountable – Hands down, my success would have been completely compromised, had it not been for my uber-supportive hubby! Together we made it through every food court and passed all the pop-up bars. Having someone who understands your goals and is going to encourage you toward them is critical, not only in the face of temptation but on this journey in general. Sending photos and updates to my PHD team helped keep me excited about staying on track!
- Have an itinerary that keeps you busy – There is so much to see in Las Vegas! Shows, hotels, fountains, shops. You literally could walk up and down the strip for days and still not see everything there is to see! Make a plan before you go and stick to it. Schedule shows, activities and food before you get there. It is so easy to get overwhelmed in the midst of all the lights and ringing slot machines. You don’t want to have to make any critical decisions in that state. Plus, your stress levels are going to be so much lower if you don’t have to worry about where and what you are going to do.
- Get creative – shows that offer dinner are a fun option, but make sure you know what you are getting into! Let the box-office know about your dietary preferences. They may be willing to let you swap out a house salad for soup, and/or sub extra veggies instead of starches and grains. I didn’t think to ask before we were served so those two little potatoes required a little extra work from my resistance muscle!
- Don’t go to buffets – Just don’t. It’s not worth it. The food is low quality, high quantity. You have the added layer of trying to “get your money’s worth” as well as having “just a bite”. Las Vegas has a vested interest in getting people to overindulge. Don’t do it. Check out some restaurants off the strip for better prices, or stroll through one of the many food courts and grab a salad.
- Don’t drink – Your inhibitions will be lowered and it’s going to be that much harder to resist junk food and more drinks (which are going to throw you out of fat burn and cause you to store that junk food as fat!). Click here for more idea’s on your night out.
Keep in mind the big picture: you have a goal! You have worked hard to get here and it is not worth compromising your commitment to yourself in order to fill a temporary craving.
Our Favorite Options:
- Tournament of Kings – Eat a Cornish hen with your hands! Ask for extra broccoli instead of potatoes and a house salad instead of the soup.
- LA Subs – Great salads good prices and really fresh ingredients for a food court stop.
- Starbucks – Not a very original addition to the list but they are literally everywhere in Vegas and you can always grab a coffee and unsweetened tea. The Sous Vide Egg White Bites are also PHD approved as a meal substitute. Plus, if you make a morning stop you can ask for a tall hot water for your oatmeal or warm breakfast drink.
- Cheesecake Factory – Awesome salads! Remember to customize for PHD compliance and watch your protein sizes.
- Hugo’s Cellar – For salads made right at your table!
- Flower Child – Great salads and healthy options!
- Skinny Fats – Says it all in the name. We love our fats and so do they! : ) Just a few modifications needed for menu items and your good to go!
Fact: Drinking alcohol and weight loss don’t go well together because alcohol can change the way your body burns fat. When you drink your body is more focused on breaking down alcohol rather than burning fat. Also, instead of burning fat, your body is burning the calories from the alcohol so it will take you longer to lose weight.
Awareness Challenge this week: Plan out your next trip using some tips from above and be prepared for obstacles. Have a plan and stick to it, you’ll feel amazing and love the results!
Tune in next time; we’ll teach you great Summer Warrior Workouts!
In the meantime, if you’d like to know more about living a healthier lifestyle, reach out to us for our professional guidance and support. Give us a call!
The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power!
Blog Photo Credit: RuntotheFinish
Cover Photo Credit: Trip Savvy