Hobbies that Help You Shed Pounds!
We have all been there. It’s the weekend; we want to relax, sit down and watch our favorite TV show. Well, in most cases, relaxation turns into boredom. We have that urge to do something more. That’s when that hand-to-mouth action creeps up on us and we start to eat. This happens not because of hunger, but boredom. Several scientific studies have proven the vast positiveness and benefits that result from having a hobby! One huge benefit is the distraction the hobby provides us from the temptations of food.
Benefits of Hobbies:
- Create a further sense of purpose in your lives.
- Teach you skills and help with brain function.
- Potentially help you earn some money!
- Introduce you to new people with similar interests.
- Help with stress. As we all know, life can be overwhelming. Hobbies can give you a reason to pay more attention to yourself, your needs and your interests.
- Cooking– Cooking is a great hobby that helps you closely monitor your nutrition and allows you to be more creative! PHD has great healthy recipes!
- Sewing– Ever had those pants that didn’t quite fit right, or wanted to make clothing that is unique to you? Sewing is a great hobby and skill to have. Instead of constantly buying new clothes you now have the ability to fix and make your own!
- Reading– Reading is something that you can do anywhere and anytime. It provides endless mental stimulation and offers the gateway to knowledge. If you don’t know where to start, go to your closest library or bookstore, look around in different sections and see what interests you. Another option is to join a book club! Book clubs are great for socializing.
- Hiking – There is a trail out there for everyone, on even the easiest hikes you can find some of the most beautiful wonders.
- Writing – Starting a blog and sharing your ideas with the world.
- Volunteering – Some great places to start would be at the animal shelter, events in your town, community clean up, etc.
- Dancing – Great way to learn some great dance moves. Grab a friend and learn to Salsa this weekend!
Ormond Specific Hobbies:
- Reading – Ormond Beach Regional Library has a great selection. They are located at 30 S Beach St in Ormond Beach.
- Hiking– Florida has such vast amount of nature and trails to explore. If you don’t know where to begin, try to join a local hiking or adventurers club! Tomoka state park is a great option.
- Cars and Mechanics– Florida houses a huge car enthusiast population. Whether you want to beef up your ride, make some “DIY” repairs, or just love the scene, there are several options for you to take part in!
- Paddle Boarding– Among the great nature in Florida are the spectacular waterways. There are some paddle boarding schools, meet-ups, and clubs all around the state! There are even guided tours to help you explore. One such tour is Ormond Outdoor Adventurers at 1385 N US Hwy 1 in Ormond Beach.
Join PHD Team Ormond every Saturday at 9:30 am at Fortunato Park to walk the Granada Bridge!
For more information about the Saturday morning walks,
contact us at (386) 238-9222.
Durango Specific Hobbies:
- Inflatable Kayak or Inner tube the Animas River– Float the river through town and get a new perspective of life on the river.
- Fishing – We have some of the best fishing on the Animas River and easy access.
- Biking – Rent a bike and ride the scenic Animas River Trail.
- Hiking – Get out in the beautiful town of Durango and explore.
- Music/concert series – We have great musicians and bands in Durango to listen to for free.
- Meet Up – Try out a new activity with a group of like-minded friendly people.
- Durango Running Club
- Check out all the great events here!
Farmington Specific Hobbies:
- Meet Up – There are plenty of groups and activities that will spark your interest on Meet Up. Take a look!
- Check out the National Parks around the area – Bisti Badlands, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Chaco Cultural Historical Park, Mesa Verde National Park, Hovenweep National Monument and Natural Bridges National Monument.
- Geocaching – Looking to get out exploring with a real life treasure hunt, geocaching will add adventure into your life!
- Frisbee Golf – One of the best courses in the region!
- Check out more events and adventures here!
These are just a few ideas – the possibilities are endless!
Fact: Research has shown that several leisure activities, including crafting, can reduce your chances of developing mild cognitive impairment by 30-50%.
Awareness Challenge this week: Go try a new hobby this week! Bring a friend along.
Tune in next time; we’ll cover Japanese Cuisine and the Benefits!
In the meantime, if you’d like to know more about constructing a healthy diet to drop weight and live a healthier lifestyle, reach out to us for our professional guidance and support. Give us a call!
“Passion is energy! Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you” – Oprah Winfrey
Blog Photo Credit: http://www.luxuryestatesplus.com/blog/2014/08/paddleboarding-south-florida/, https://www.durango.com/durango-kayaking/, https://www.mycoloradoparks.com/road-trips/farmington-nm
Cover Photo Credit: http://www.dailyhawker.com/life-style/5-tips-to-get-creative-through-hobbies/